Have you held a driver's license overseas and want to obtain a South Australian driver's license? If so, we can help you. We have a great deal of experience in helping immigrants convert their licenses.

In order to convert your license, you must apply for a license in SA within 3 months of your arrival. Depending on where you are from, you may have to take some tests in order to prove your driving competency.

If you are from any of the following countries, you may obtain an SA license without having to complete any tests. These include; Austria, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guernsey (UK), Ireland, Isle of Man (UK), Italy, Japan, Jersey (UK), Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and United States.

If you are not from any of the above countries and you have a full (unrestricted) foreign license, you must first pass a theory test on Australian road rules. If you pass this test, you will be issued with a temporary driving permit, which is valid for one month.

Within this month, you must also complete a practical driving test. You may also be asked to take another practical test, known as a validation assessment. If you pass all of these, you can then obtain your full SA license.

Click here for more information about foreign licenses

Please note that while we strive to ensure all information on our website is correct and up-to-date, the information must be seen solely as a guide and things may change without notice. If you are in doubt, please don't hesitate to contact us.

call us on: 0418 858 062


Guide for overseas license holders






Australian Driver Trainers Association of South AustraliaAccredited Driving School